In memory of a Happy Day in February

Wishes


Blessed be Thou for all the joy, My soul has felt today!, O let its memory stay with me, And never pass away!, I was alone, for those I loved, Were far away from me,, The sun shone on the withered grass,, The wind blew fresh and free., , Was it the smile of early spring, That made my bosom glow?, 'Twas sweet, but neither sun nor wind, Could raise my spirit so., , Was it some feeling of delight,, All vague and undefined?, No, 'twas a rapture deep and strong,, Expanding in the mind!, , Was it a sanguine view of life, And all its transient bliss­-, A hope of bright prosperity?, O no, it was not this!, , It was a glimpse of truth divine, Unto my spirit given, Illumined by a ray of light, That shone direct from heaven!, , I felt there was a God on high, By whom all things were made., I saw His wisdom and his power, In all his works displayed., , But most throughout the moral world, I saw his glory shine;, I saw His wisdom infinite,, His mercy all divine., , Deep secrets of his providence, In darkness long concealed, Were brought to my delighted eyes, And graciously revealed., , But while I wondered and adored, His wisdom so divine,, I did not tremble at his power,, I felt that God was mine., , I knew that my Redeemer lived,, I did not fear to die;, Full sure that I should rise again, To immortality., , I longed to view that bliss divine, Which eye hath never seen,, To see the glories of his face, Without the veil between.

Comments